Thursday, March 13, 2008

Roaring Camp & Big Trees Railroad - 1960's Postcards


Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey these are fantastic! I love the Dixiana Shay, the exposed drive assembly is fascinating to look at, was she eight wheel drive?

Does this place still exist? About 10 years ago I took and old train ride somewhere up north in or near “wine country” is this the same place?

The more of this amazing stuff you post the more I love trains! Last year I did the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon on the Grand Canyon Railway- that was such fun! I highly recommend it:

Thanks and keep up the great blog!

Viewliner Ltd. said...

Still there today. Here is a link of a cool video, at Roaring Camp of the Shay locomotive. Showing all the workings of the geared-drive wheels.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Oh boy, that was a treat! Great video, I love that little train. It's like the cousin of the popular girl at school, maybe not as pretty but far more interesting!

Wow, there were a bunch of train video links, those old machines are amazing. No offense to the ladies, but these are machines built by men for men. Big, strong, loud, dirty, imposing. These are great fun, thanks so much for the link. I know where I want to go this summer

Cory The Raven said...

I want to be both a member of the Horseless Carriage Club and go for an excursion on the Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad.

And vintage disneyland tickets, I'm very jealous over your riding the Grand Canyon Railway... I actually little-to-no interest in going to the canyon until I found out about the train. Now I'm hoping to take that trip myself in 5 or so years!

Major Pepperidge said...

A few weeks ago I found a neat little sticker (looks like the kind of gummed sticker that you were supposed to put on your suitcase) that says "Roaring Camp Sacramento 1939" with a fun illustration. I'll have to send a scan to you!