Thursday, June 19, 2008

All American Hot Dog Joints

Tail o’ the Pup is an iconic Los Angeles, California hot dog stand actually shaped like a hot dog. Built in 1946, the small, walk-up stand has been noted as a prime example of “mimic” type novelty architecture. It is one of the very few surviving mid-20th century buildings that were built in the shapes of the products they sold.

Pink's was founded by Paul and Betty Pink in 1939 as a pushcart near the corner of La Brea and Melrose. The family built the current building in 1946 at 709 North La Brea, Los Angeles.

Poor Boys in Lockport, Illinois.

Snoopy's began in 1978 when Steve Webb, a long time Raleigh native and local entrepreneur, decided to convert an old gas station on the corner of Wake Forest Road and Whitaker Mill into an eastern N.C. grill.

Small Fries in Fall City, Washington.

Gray's Papaya is a hot dog restaurant with three locations on the West Side of Manhattan, open 24 hours a day year-round.

Pal's is a regional fast food restaurant chain located in northeast Tennessee and southwestern Virginia, with stores concentrated in the Tri-Cities, Tennessee metro region.

The original Nathan's stands at the corner of Surf and Stillwell Avenues in the Coney Island neighborhood of the New York City borough of Brooklyn.

Superdawg is a drive-in hot dog stand with carhop service located at the intersection of Milwaukee Avenue, Devon Avenue, and Nagle Avenue in the Norwood Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois.

So youz tinks I'm stoppin' at one ah doze fancy shmancy joints dat you just saw? NAH !!! I'm stoppin' hea. Meet Tony, an inurjetik 'n chamin' sorta fella dat nose his dawgs. Dez no fancy lites or elevatah music hea. Just a good ole' American dawg, surved pipin' hot wit all duh fiksins', and duh ambiance of new yawk awl around youz. I'll take two and I'm outa hea.

4 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post, reminds me of the "Tail-o-the Pup" in LA that my grandpa used to take me too, I guess it just closed recently?? Ok Richard, now I am hungry for a hot dog, for breakfast!!!!

Major Pepperidge said...

Vintage Disneyland Tickets beat me to it, I was going to say, "What, no 'Tail o' the Pup'?"

Did it really close? It's moved around a bit recently, but it is such an LA icon it would be a shame if it really went away.

Viewliner Ltd. said...

OK!!! OK!!! I must have been nuts not to post TOTP. Your wish is my command. Please re-visit. Thank you.

Major Pepperidge said...

THANKS!