Monday, June 30, 2008

Chevrolet Corvette - 55 Years Old Today

The Corvette has been manufactured by Chevrolet since 1953. On June 30th of that same year the first Corvette rolled off the assembly line in Flint, Michigan. Taking its name from the corvette, a small, maneuverable fighting frigate, the first Corvettes were virtually handbuilt in Flint, Michigan in Chevrolet's Customer Delivery Center.

1953 Corvette

1956 Corvette

1958 Corvette

1961 Corvette

1962 Corvette

1965 Corvette

1971 Corvette Stingray

1982 Corvette

1996 Corvette Grand Sport

2003 Corvette

2007 Corvette

Model Circa 1985?

Thanks goes out to all the good people who captured some of these fantastic images found on Flickr.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Love the versions from the 50's! It's still a pretty cool looking car, but when it got all swoopy in the 70's I was less crazy about it.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Sweet post, I love them all, but Major is right as far as the 68 thru 82, a bit too swoopy (I like that word!). My uncle restores old corvettes (53 to 62) and he let me borrow a 61 Fuelie 4speed for the weekend of my 21st birthday, WOW, that's a fun and powerful machine, and quite a handful for such a small car. Oh boy was it a “chick magnet” too, almost as good as bringing puppies to the park!

Thanks Richard!!!

Davelandweb said...

What a great post; wonderful to see the progression. Corvette lost me in 1965!

Katella Gate said...

We always had Volkswagens in my family. They were very kid-friendly (engine is at eye-level and it has lots of gismos to look at) but, they are pretty, well, un-sexy.

In 1966 my Mom was walking me across the street to school and we passed in front of a Corvette. It was drizzling and he had his lights on, which were about at eye level for me.

I'd never seen a beautiful car before, and the driver must have noticed me staring at the exposed headlamps, cause he blinked them, causing them to retract and go flush with the body.

I practically fell down from the surprise. A nice gesture remembered to this day, one that went a long way in getting me interested in cars.