Thursday, July 17, 2008

F.W. Woolworth Company - 1939

The F. W. Woolworth Company was a retail company that was one of the original American five-and-dime stores. The first Woolworth's store was founded in 1878 by Frank Winfield Woolworth. Despite growing to be one of the largest retail chains in the world through most of the 20th century, increased competition led to its decline beginning in the 1980s.

In 1997, F. W. Woolworth Company converted itself into a sporting goods retailer and by 2001, the company focused exclusively on the sporting goods market, changing its name to the present Foot Locker Inc.






Thanks to Wishbook on Flickr for these photos of the F.W. Woolworth store at 2824 Colby, in Everett, Washington - 1939.

5 comments:

The Blue Parrot said...

Cool! Very nice.

When I moved to Walnut Creek, CA, in June of 1970, there was still a Woolworth's just like the one in those images open for business. Now it's another yuppie storefront in a trendy shopping area. But back then...

Major Pepperidge said...

I have a few great slides showing a Woolworth's in the background, it is a part of America that is now gone. I miss it like I miss the Sears wishbook...

Musiken said...

I remember eating at Woolworths in Pomona, California, with my mom! Thanks for the memories.

Viewliner Ltd. said...

Major: Are you going to post those slides. I would love to see them.

Blue: Its amazing to see these pictures and more amazing that they are now "The Foot Locker"

Musiken: I remember the onion rings, they were great.

walterworld said...

I recall the Santa Cruz, CA Woolworth's as it were in decline in the mid 80's. There was some merchandise on the shelves that was over ten years-old I kid you not.

The whole place appeared ready for its funeral...

I was only a teenager but it still struck me as rather sad.