The San Francisco Municipal Railway, commonly known as Muni, is the public transit system for the city and county of San Francisco, California and is the seventh largest transit system in the United States.
Muni is an integral part of public transit throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, operating 365 days a year and connecting with regional transportation services, such as Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), SamTrans, and AC Transit. Its network consists of 54 bus lines, 17 trolley bus lines, 7 light rail lines (the Muni Metro), 3 cable car lines, and a heritage streetcar line known as the F Market & Wharves.
Muni has its origins in the period following the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Up until then the city had been served by a number of commercial horsecar, cable car and electric streetcar operators. In 1912, the city declined to renew the franchise that bestowed cable car operator Geary Street, Park & Ocean Railway the privilege of operating on Geary Street, and converted the line into a municipal electric streetcar line, the first line of Muni.
April 1970 - (Double ended PCC) 38 years ago at First & Mission in San Francisco. Every building in the background on 1st. St between Mission and Market is gone. Foster's Cafeteria and California Motor Express (CME truck) are names relegated to history. Ironically, PCC 1008 survives as MUNI's work car and is the only PCC to ever operate in METRO tunnel.
November 1977 - (Single ended PCC) To bypass tunnel construction on Market St., MUNI built a detour by way of Duboce to Church to 17th and then to the Twin Peaks Tunnel. This car (#1167) was purchased by MUNI from St. Louis in the mid-50's.
September 1982 - (Holman Bros. Car 1912) Transbay Terminal Loop 1st and Mission. What is considered to be the oldest operating piece of transit equipment in the U.S. is Muni #1. Still owned and operated in regular service by its original owner.
September 1982 - (PCC built in 1952) The Transbay Terminal loop was built when the Bay Bridge and its transbay went into service. When the Ferry Building loop closed, all Muni cars were routed to the terminal loop at First and Mission. The four buildings behind the car are gone as are the buildings on either side.
September 1982 - (PCC built in 1952) PCC 1038 is outbound on Market St. at O'Farrell. #1038 was one of the last order of PCC cars built for domestic use.
Thanks to Drew Jacksich for the use of his images and image information provided by him. To see more of Drews pictures visit the Amtrak Engineers website and RailPictures.Net