The following photographs are from the Historic American Buildings Survey collection at the Library of Congress. (Jack E. Boucher, Photographer October, 1960)
The Bradbury Building, 304 South Broadway - Built in 1893, it is a fine example of multi-story structure designed around an inner glazed court, with splendid art nouveau iron work in open stairways, open elevator cages and balcony rails.
Union Market, 1530-1536 West Sixth Street - Built in 1933, Carl's Market (aka Union Market) is one of a series of "supermarkets" designed by Morgan, Walls & Clements. Essentially all of these were utilitarian buildings with a sculptural sign and street facade.
The Bunker Hill District, Temple, Fifth, Hill, & Fiqueroa Streets, was developed during the first waves of real-estate speculation and boom that came with the extension of Southern Pacific Railroad to LA in 1876, and the construction of the Santa Fe Railway, completed in 1886.
The Plaza Fire House, 126 Plaza Street - Built in 1884, the Plaza Firehouse was the first building to be constructed by the City of Los Angeles for housing fire fighting equipment and personnel. The City Council hired architect William Boring to design the structure which was built by Dennis Hennessy.
The Richfield Oil Building, 555 South Flower Street - Built in 1929, it is an excellent example of the "Modern Style" of the 1920's, a short-lived heroic style with roots in late Art Nouveau and German Expressionism with emphasis on masses rather than volumes. Demolition of the building was begun in November, 1968.