Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Pennsylvania Railroad in Pictures - Part 2

The Saturday Morning Post continues today with Part 2 of a six part series of John Dziobko Jr. Pennsylvania Railroad photographs.

John Dziobko Jr. was born in Newark, N.J., October 10, 1932. His facination with trains began at age 5 when he would go on train trips to see family in West Islip, Long Island, NY. His father took him to various rail operations in the Newark area in the late '30s, where he acquired a fondness for the Pennsylvania Railroad steam engines, and was where he saw his first diesel locomotive in 1943. He began travelling to photograph trains while still in high school at age 17. Back in those days a railfan could ride the train to various rail locations, since there were many more trains and routes at the time (and no interstates).

Pennsylvania Railroad Alco S4 at the PRR Trenton yard - Trenton, New Jersey, December 12, 1952. Locomotive No. PRR 8490 was new on the property in '52.

Pennsylvania Railroad EMD F3(A) at the PRR engine facility - Renovo, Pennsylvania, August 18, 1956. Locomotive No. PRR 9500 was delivered in 1947, the class F3A 9500 is readied for service.

Pennsylvania Railroad EMD F3(A) at the PRR engine facility - Renovo, Pennsylvania, August 18, 1956. Locomotive No. PRR 9501 is already almost 10 years old when this photo was taken in the Renovo pit and she's starting to show some wear.

Pennsylvania Railroad EMD SW9 at the PRR Trenton roundhouse - Trenton, New Jersey, May 09, 1953. Locomotive No. PRR 8539. The scene at the Trenton engine facility shows a change is in the air with regard to motive power technology.

Pennsylvania Railroad GG-1 at the PRR Sunnyside Yard - Long Island City, New York, March 28, 1953. Late afternoon at Sunnyside Yard. It appears that C&O cars are in the consist of a PRR intercity train.

Pennsylvania Railroad caboose at the PRR Waverly Yard - Newark, New Jersey, November 08, 1952. Locomotive No. PRR 478095. N8-style cabin 478095 was a real Cadillac, a shoving platform ahead of it's time.

Pennsylvania Railroad Steam 0-6-0 at the PRR Altoona works - Altoona, Pennsylvania, June 11, 1953. Locomotive No. PRR 436. After setting out a gondola full of shop scrap, the shifter backs up to the turntable. The stacks of wheels in the foreground are stenciled "scrap".

Pennsylvania Railroad Steam 2-8-0 at the PRR Meadows Yard - Kearny, New Jersey, December 27, 1952. Locomotive No. PRR 8175 is working hard getting out of the yard.

Pennsylvania Railroad Steam 4-6-2 at PRR New York & Long Branch - South Amboy, New Jersey, January, 1951. Locomotive No. PRR 5384. K4 in action, possibly backing up to his train. This view is looking north, and is where PRR swapped steam for elec/diesel power. There was a small yard & engine terminal at one time. Then a joint PRR/CNJ operation, today this is the "N. Jersey Coast Line" of NJT to Bay Head.

Pennsylvania Railroad Steam 4-8-2 on PRR mainline - Altoona, Pennsylvania, June 11, 1953. Locomotive No. PRR 6768. A steamy action scene at Altoona in the summer of '53. This Mountain-type served late into the '50s hauling the heaviest drags, only one was saved, #6755.

Here is a link to Part 1 of the John Dziobko Jr. PRR photographs.

Many thanks go out to Ray Peacock for his assistance in making these posts possible. Please visit Ray's site at, and John's website in process at


Dave said...

We owe a lot to the great photographers like Dziobko who shot in color long before it became the standard. Really great stuff, Richard!

rose said...

The Pennsylvania Railroad was an American railroad,founded in 1846. Commonly referred to as the "Pennsy,"the PRR was headquartered in Philadelphia,Pennsylvania.The Pennsylvania Railroad's corporate symbol was the keystone,which is Pennsylvania's state symbol,with the letters PRR intertwined inside.When colored,it was bright red with silver-grey molding and lettering.Early in the 20th century,the PRR began construction to electrify some of their rail lines.The initial construction was in the New York terminal area, including some of the tunnels.This was a direct current low-voltage system that supplied power through a third rail.The system was put into service in 1910.
pennsylvania drug rehab