Thursday, October 23, 2008

Westwood Before & After

Westwood is a district in western Los Angeles, California and is best known as the home of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Westwood was carved from the old Wolfskill Farm, a 3,000 acre tract that was purchased in 1919 by wealthy retailer Arthur Letts.

1941 - Heading north on Westwood Blvd approaching Wilshire Blvd in Westwood Village. Ralphs Grocery store in the distance on the right hand side.

Today from Google Maps. Best shot I could get to see the old Ralphs grocery store building.

1941 - Westwood Village Ralph's Supermarket on the corner of Linbrook Drive and Westwood Blvd.

Today from Google Maps. The old Ralphs grocery story building, I believe this is now a coffee and tea cafe.

1941 - Bank of America on the corner of Kinross Ave and Westwood Blvd.

Today from Google Maps. No more Bank of America neon sign tower on the building.

LINK: 20th Century Nostalgia from vieilles_annonces on Flickr.

8 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I think I bought this CD of photos on ebay, aren't they awesome! Also, a friend just sent me some scans of slides that he has, L.A. in the late 40's and early 50's. They are so amazing! I'm totally jealous that he has them.

Viewliner Ltd. said...

I know which CD you mean Major. There are a lot of them on the Flickr link. Are you going to post the LA pics?

Major Pepperidge said...

I really can't, since they don't belong to me (and they kind of fall outside of the scope of my blog), even though I would like to. They are fantastic! I could ask the owner if he would be OK with it, but I know that he often pays a fortune for his slides and might be reluctant to share them. I get scans because I have shared my stuff with him!

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuff. Mama don't ever take my kodachrome away..

lots of folks are buying old family slide collections at garage sales and then scanning and uploading them to flickr and sites like that.

ray p.
madison

Dave said...

Sheeeoot, those are fantastic pictures! I'm blown away by the '41Ralphs close-up, as you might imagine!

walterworld said...

Boy---I sure like the way it used to look...

Seems like they really tightened the street layout up; everything looks so much closer-in today.

Wouldn't it be nice to stroll down the aisles in that Ralph's and get a gander of what's on the shelves?

Thanks for the nice dose of the then-and-now (one of my favorite themes as you know). Take care!

Heidi Ann said...

It looks so great in the old pictures. I'm just glad that great old building is still standing!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great before and after post. Hey, I am impressed with Google maps, how in the world can they have some many ground level shots? My house comes in nice and clear, kinda scary...