Monday, December 8, 2008

John Wayne at Home

John Wayne's birthplace in Winterset Iowa.

The following pictures and text are from an article in the November 2008 issue of Architectural Digest. The article is titled John Wayne - A Daughter Fondly Remembers the Domestic Side of Her Oscar-Winning Dad by Aissa Wayne.

Aissa Wayne, the third of John Wayne's four daughters, grew up on lush acreage in the San Fernando Valley. "It was a magical place for a small kid," she says. To read more of this article go to architecturaldigest.com

  • John Wayne and his daughter Aissa in the early 1960's, in the poolhouse of his suburban Los Angeles home.

  • John Wayne in front of the Ranch Style main house in the early 1960's.

  • Aissa and John Wayne enjoying the pool area.

  • The Duke relaxes with Blackie, his wife's dachshund from Peru. "John Wayne was an animal lover," says his daughter, "a quality easily spotted by most animals."

  • Aissa and her famous dad in the sleekly modern poolhouse. "My mom always told me to cross my legs for pictures. I can tell that my right hand is helping the leg stay," she says.

  • John and Pilar Wayne in the kitchen and bar area of the poolhouse, where they enjoyed entertaining.
  • 6 comments:

    Major Pepperidge said...

    My grandma used to tell us that John Wayne lived on Rancho Street in Encino - - there are lots of big fancy homes there, with long driveways and walls out front. I don't remember if she ever pointed out the specific house or not! Some other famous people lived in the area though...

    walterworld said...

    Nice post on The Duke!

    Thanks for sharing---

    Ray Peacock said...

    John Wayne was a creampuff under the harsh exterior, and it shows in those pics. Nice post Richard.

    Viewliner Ltd. said...

    I was fortunate to meet the Duke on three different occasions. And knew his daughter Aissa.

    He was always the gentleman to me and I thought him to be a great guy and his daughter was an absolute sweetheart.

    Anonymous said...

    I've always loved John Wayne movies and have every one time and again. I just wish I had known that he and I were distant cousins before he died, I should have like to send him a letter maybe.

    Anonymous said...

    They don't make men like him anymore.