Peoples Drug Store at 7th and K Sts, Washington, D.C.
The Peoples chain of drug stores was based in Washington, D.C. and founded by Malcolm Gibbs in 1904 and by 1930 the chain had 110 stores. (These photographs were taken in the 1920's and early 1930's)
Interior of Peoples Drug Store, 8th and H Sts, Washington, D.C.
In 1970, Peoples had 252 stores operating in the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, New York, and New Jersey. That year there were 5,500 employees.
Interior of Peoples Drug Store, 7th and M Sts, Washington, D.C.
In 1984, Peoples was acquired by the Canadian conglomerate Imasco, the Canadian arm of British American Tobacco. Peoples and its divisions had close to 800 stores and became one of the country's leading drug chains.
Peoples Drug Store, interior, 7th and K Sts, Washington, D.C.
In late 1990, CVS Corporation purchased Peoples. The Peoples name was considered to be too strong a name to change it to CVS/pharmacy immediately, but was ultimately changed in May of 1994, just a few months before the Peoples Drug name would have celebrated its 90th anniversary.
Peoples Drug Store, interior, 14th and U Sts, Washington, D.C.
LINK: These glass negative photographs are part of the National Photo Company Collection at the Library of Congress.