Monday, February 9, 2009

A Very Unique Bird

The Martin XB-51 was an American "tri-jet" ground attack aircraft designed to a 1945 United States Army Air Forces requirement, and originally designated XA-45. The requirement was for low-level bombing and close support.

The unorthodox design, first flying on October 28, 1949 was fitted with three, General Electric J47s, one at the extreme tail with an intake at the base of the tailfin, and two underneath the forward fuselage in pods.

LINK: More info on the XB-51 on Wikipedia


Keith said...

I really love the look of that.

Keith said...

P.S. I can't remember if I mentioned this to you or not. Make sure you check out my Dino Lounge blog today (Monday). I gave you an award.

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, what a funky design... at first I wasn't sure where the third jet engine was.