Thursday, March 19, 2009

Randsburg, CA - Part 2 of 4: The Houses

I recently took a trip to Randsburg, a town known as "A Living Ghost Town". I had driven through there about two years ago and vowed to go back as soon as possible to take as many pictures as I could. I took about 150 pictures, here are some of them. ENJOY!

Randsburg is located in Kern County, California. It is on the west side of U.S. Route 395 between Kramer Junction to the south and Ridgecrest to the north.

The first eight pictures are of some of the houses in Randsburg. I wasn't going to knock on doors and bother people with questions, so I don't know anything about the history of these houses.









Newer home with open mine shaft in the backyard.

The lonesome old gold ore cart.

The Cottage Hotel had a turn of the century beginning
with the gold mining boom in the town of Randsburg.
It outlasted 3 fires, flu epidemics and many rough customers.

The Santa Barbara Church, corner of Lexington and Butte streets.

Tomorrow PART 3: Uptown Randsburg - If anyone has more information on any of these pictures, please don't hesitate to contact me. I will use it to update this post.

3 comments:

Keith said...

These are some nice photos. I really like looking at these houses. The fourth one actually reminds me of a house in my town.

Major Pepperidge said...

So strange to see a ghost town with (apparently?) people still living there! And open mine shaft is always a fun play feature for children.

I am giving Caldwell Banker a call about that one house!

TokyoMagic! said...

What a neat little town. Is that a real "open mine shaft" in somoeone's backyard or just a mock-up?