Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reed Family: Calico Ghost Town

We continue with a family named Reed traveling in a 1958 Ford station wagon and Sportcraft camping trailer on their 1960 vacation destinations. (All pictures used with permission of Leon Reed)

  • "I've traveled since I was young. My parents used to take a long vacation every summer in our trailer, and by the time I was 14, I had been in all 48 (lower) states. A few years ago, my dad gave me his extensive slide collection from the 50s and 60s. My dad was (is) an outstanding photographer and, fortunately, he used Kodachrome. Almost all of the photos were taken by my dad -- though my mom, who actually worked as a professional photo finisher, was no slouch either." ~ Leon Reed.

    Calico Main Street - Calico House.

    Main street, Calico Ghost Town, California.

    Bucket brigade, wagons and stores, Calico.

    Bridge, boardwalk, and stores, 1960.

    Calico Top O' Hill Bazar - We sell Keep Sakes,
    What Nots, Do Dads and Knick Knacks
    Ladies and Gents & Offspring Welcome.

    Schoolhouse, Calico Ghost Town, 1960.
  • 5 comments:

    Keith said...

    These are great. I love these old towns like this. They are amazing to see. They show you a slice of America that you don't see anymore.

    Cory Gross said...

    That place looks pretty cool... I might have to add a vacaction destination...

    Major Pepperidge said...

    I love that second photo, with Calico in the foreground, and the vast harsh desert (are those salt flats?) in the distance.

    Gunnar and Sherry said...

    I just was here last fall, and guess what... it looks the same!

    Raggmunk said...

    I was there in 1988.