Monday, April 20, 2009

Reed Family: Hoover Dam

We continue with the final installment of a family named Reed traveling in a 1958 Ford station wagon and Sportcraft camping trailer on their 1960 vacation destinations. Tomorrow the Reed family will visit the 1962 Seattle World's Fair. (All pictures used with permission of Leon Reed)

  • "I've traveled since I was young. My parents used to take a long vacation every summer in our trailer, and by the time I was 14, I had been in all 48 (lower) states. A few years ago, my dad gave me his extensive slide collection from the 50s and 60s. My dad was (is) an outstanding photographer and, fortunately, he used Kodachrome. Almost all of the photos were taken by my dad -- though my mom, who actually worked as a professional photo finisher, was no slouch either." ~ Leon Reed.

    The infamous 1958 Ford and camping trailer parked on top of Hoover Dam.


    Major Pepperidge said...

    Look at that little structure built to extend out into space in the last picture! Wonder what that was for and if it's still there?

    Hoover Dam was a "must see" attraction back in the 50's and 60's... if you buy a bunch of slides from those days, they almost always have pictures of the Dam (and the Grand Canyon)!

    walterworld said...

    I took my family to Hoover Dam back in 2004 and it was definitely worth a visit.

    There is a majestic arch bridge currently under construction a mile or so up the canyon; should be quite a site as well.

    Viewliner Ltd. said...

    I was there a few years OK Major. And I don't recall that structure being there anymore.

    Walterworld: The arch bridge that is being built will cut down the amount of traffic that goes over the dam. Especially large trucks. A direct result of 911.