Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Reed Family: Seattle World's Fair - Part 2

We continue with pictures taken by the Reed Family at the Seattle World's Fair in 1962. Tomorrow the Reed family will visit Florida in 1963. (All pictures used with permission of Leon Reed)

  • "I've traveled since I was young. My parents used to take a long vacation every summer in our trailer, and by the time I was 14, I had been in all 48 (lower) states. A few years ago, my dad gave me his extensive slide collection from the 50s and 60s. My dad was (is) an outstanding photographer and, fortunately, he used Kodachrome. Almost all of the photos were taken by my dad -- though my mom, who actually worked as a professional photo finisher, was no slouch either." ~ Leon Reed.

    Looking down on the Fair from the Space Needle.

    The Ford Pavillion.

    The Spanish Village Flamenco Dancers.

    Water skiing exhibition.

    Chevron. Hats, candy and souvenirs.

    Major Pepperidge said...

    This fair looks tiny compared to the New York fairs. Great shot of the Water Skiing exhibit!

    walterworld said...

    Ah Seattle and the Space Needle... Our Summer destination in 2007.

    Had such a great time walking the grounds and riding the monorail up town.

    It was great to try and match up the old views with what remains (and much of it still does remain).

    Thanks for your excellent posts!

    Viewliner Ltd. said...

    Very much smaller then NYWF. More like a modern Expo or carnival than a real worlds fair. These photos are fantastic. Thanks again Leon, I really appreciate it. Richard

    Leon said...

    I too was surprised when I saw the Seattle World's Fair photos as an adult and realized how small it was compared to the NYWF. I remember being overwhelmed when I first saw it (at age 13). Probably a good thing it came first and NY later.

    Interestingly, though, Seattle was an "official" worlds fair and NY wasn't. One problem NY had was official fairs are only allowed to be open a single year and NY insisted on two years. Also, I think the NY Fair director, Robert Moses, was pretty high-handed and probably managed to alienate the international board.