Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reed Family: Vacation Destinations

We continue with a family named Reed traveling in a 1958 Ford station wagon and Sportcraft camping trailer on their 1960 vacation destinations. (All pictures used with permission of Leon Reed)

  • "I've traveled since I was young. My parents used to take a long vacation every summer in our trailer, and by the time I was 14, I had been in all 48 (lower) states. A few years ago, my dad gave me his extensive slide collection from the 50s and 60s. My dad was (is) an outstanding photographer and, fortunately, he used Kodachrome. Almost all of the photos were taken by my dad -- though my mom, who actually worked as a professional photo finisher, was no slouch either." ~ Leon Reed.

    Grand Canyon National Park entrance sign.

    Route 66, New Mexico, 1960.

    Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs.

    Berthoud Pass Lodge, Colorado.

    Mark Twain Museum, Hannibal, Missouri.

    Yo Wawona Redwood with car tunnel, the tree fell in 1969.

    Major Pepperidge said...

    I wonder how many different redwood trees have been modified so that you could drive through them? Such a funny idea, but I know I wouldn't be able to resist. Folks who had cars that were too big must have been sad.

    Keith said...

    That is so neat to see how they modified that redwood so you can drive through it. It's a shame that it fell in 1969.

    Cory Gross said...

    No wonder the tree fell... someone cut a big ol' hole in it! ^_~