Monday, April 13, 2009

Reed Family: Vacation Transportation

A family named Reed traveling with this 1958 Ford station wagon and Sportcraft camping trailer will take you to many places of interest. Be sure to visit the Viewliner Limited everyday this week to see Reed Family vacation photos from 1960. (All pictures used with permission of Leon Reed)

  • "I've traveled since I was young. My parents used to take a long vacation every summer in our trailer, and by the time I was 14, I had been in all 48 (lower) states. A few years ago, my dad gave me his extensive slide collection from the 50s and 60s. My dad was (is) an outstanding photographer and, fortunately, he used Kodachrome. Almost all of the photos were taken by my dad -- though my mom, who actually worked as a professional photo finisher, was no slouch either." ~ Leon Reed.

    Continental Divide, Berthoud Pass, Colorado.

    Near the entrance of Yosemite National Park.

    Native children pose for pictures near Grand Canyon.

    Entrance to Boulder Beach, Lake Mead Recreation Area.

    Trailer parked at Hoover Dam.

    Disneyland entrance, 1960.
  • 6 comments:

    Matterhorn1959 said...

    They sure loved their station wagon taking so many pictures of it! Can't wait to see more pictures.

    William H. Todd said...

    Disneyland parking was 25 cents in 1960. Federal minimum wage in 1960 was $1.00 .

    In 2009, Disneyland parking is $12.00 . Federal minimum wage is $7.25 .

    What's wrong with this picture ?

    Major Pepperidge said...

    Oh man, this is going to be a great series! I love what you've shared so far. Makes me wish that I could go on a 1960 road trip in that station wagon!

    BTW, is parking at Disneyland really $12?? Yeesh. Obviously a continuation of Eisner's policy to empty the guest's pockets in every way possible.

    Gunnar and Sherry said...

    I agree, that's one honey of a station wagon!

    Ray Peacock said...

    This so reminds me of my youth, our family traveled too, though not as extensively. And, we didn't take kodachrome, nor did we visit Disneyland (how I wished!). But the memories of all 7 of us (mom, dad, 4 kids, and grandma) all packed into my Dad's 63 Chev pulling a popup camper. So many good memories, Badlands, New England in the fall, New Mexico in the summer HOTT! Thanks for the post. I still remember the signs for Wall Drug all the way across S.D., and all these years later my siblings and I still get a laugh out of some of the travails of the travels..

    Keith said...

    These are some beautiful pics. I've really enjoyed checking out all these posts that you've done. I love all of them.