Friday, July 17, 2009

Disneyland 54 Years

To celebrate Disneyland's 54th anniversary, I thought I would show 4 of my favorite postcards from the 1960's. These represent what My Disneyland was all about (at least the Tomorrowland part). I know you have seen them all before, but it's "Anniversary Time" at Disneyland! So lets celebrate all weekend long! Happy Birthday "D".


Paul Pressler said...

I am so happy they destroyed all the ugly old stuff in 1998. Those Mary Blair murals were the worst! Tomorrowland is far better as the ghetto of Disneyland as the fluidity, depth and purpose of its awful 1960s incarnation was far too distracting! Too much movement! Happy birthday Disneyland! Please get rid of anything that has to do with that annoying old man Walt Disney. Vinyl windows and khaki stucco would really spruce up Main Street! So outdated! It's so gross!

Viewliner Ltd. said...

Having a bad day Paul?

Reagan said...

ahahaha !

That is the best comment EVER.

1998 really was the worst thing to ever happen to D-land !

Your blog is the best !

Cory Gross said...

Some day, over on my blog, I'll post my defense of the 1998 concept! I genuinely think it was a good idea that just suffered from the budget-stripped execution.

However, I'd settle for any Tomorrowland that had something going on and wasn't Pixarland.

Charles A. Pearson said...

How depressing.
I really miss Disneyland before 1998.
Paul not only killed Tomorrowland, he was also in charge of bulldozing all the amazing signage in the Anaheim area.
Profit at the expense of aesthetic.

Thanks for the memories Viewliner LTD.

Viewliner Ltd. said...

Anger management classes begin on Monday Paul. 7:00 AM sharp "BE THERE, DAMN IT".

Thanks all for looking, LOL.

TokyoMagic! said...

Paul, you mean YOU, not "they." YOU destroyed the park. No wonder to this very day, people still spit on your "brick" out in the Esplanade.

On a happier note, I love these postcards too....especially the one of the Carousel of Progress!

Thanks, Viewliner!

Debbie V. said...

I am glad I got to experience this Tomorrowland over a period of several years. One memory sticks in my mind. It was evening, sitting at a table near the Tomorrowland stage, watching couples dance, watching the rockets, hearing the bobsleds, it was such a wonderful place. People mulling around laughing. Everywhere you went in Disneyland there was this same congenial atmosphere.
I realize that I am looking back through the eyes of a teenager in the 1960's - could we have been more idealistic and hopeful any place else?

Viewliner Ltd. said...

Hi Debbie. I agree with you whole-heartedly. I use to pay general admission and go to Disneyland almost every weekend during the summer... Friday & Saturday Nites just for the music. It was a great time. Just pure fun!

Viewliner Ltd. said...

Thanks everyone for commenting. All is appreciated, you too Paul.. even if your link does go to the GAP.