Monday, July 13, 2009

Ward Kimball

Here is one of my all time favorite pictures of Ward Kimball. Man, I miss this guy! If you have never seen the full hour of the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder visiting Ward at his home in San Gabriel in the 1970's, here is the LINK to all the videos of that show in a post I did on June 14th, 2008.

Ward Kimball never quite got over a childhood love affair with trains. After 40 years as an animator, writer, director and producer for Walt Disney Studios, and two Academy Awards for his efforts, Kimball retired to another make-believe world--his own backyard. His Grizzle Flats Railroad in San Gabriel boasts three locomotives, six cars and authentically appointed railroad station. He also has a large collection of toy trains, some of them a century old. (Publication: Los Angeles Times - February 28, 1977)

4 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Does anyone know if Ward's backyard train and train station still exist?

Viewliner Ltd. said...

His trains are at the Orange Empire Railway Museum. Here is the LINK:

http://www.oerm.org/pages/GF.htm

Major Pepperidge said...

I've always wished that I could have seen Ward's train and toy collection in person!

Keith said...

I always want a huge train set. I loved seeing those homes will it will take up an entire room.