Saturday, August 22, 2009

New York City 1955

New York City has always been an absolutely fascinating city to me. Almost 2 years after these pictures were taken a 10 year old kid stepped off the boat, into Times Square. Talk about culture shock beyond belief. But this is where that over-worked word "AWESOME" really comes into play.

Mayfair Theater billboard with Jane Russell in Underwater
presented by Howard Hughes.

The Times Building, Criterion Theater
and the Sheraton Astor Hotel.

43rd Street and Broadway, Hotel Sheraton Astor,
Loew's State Theater.

Broadway and 49th Street, Winter Garden Theater,
Join the US Army. (I DID !)

Radio City Music Hall, March 13, 1955. Jane Powell,
Tony Martin, Debbie Reynolds and Vic Damone
starring in that "WACKY" stage spectacular "Hit The Deck".

LINK: For many more great pics visit Actionlog's Photostream on Flickr.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not the Flatiron Building, its the Times Building (the Ball drops here every New Years Eve). The Flatiron Building is much more massive and is located at the intersection of Broadway, 5th Ave, and 23rd Street farther downtown across from Madison Square Park.

Major Pepperidge said...

These are super nice, I wish I could have visited New York City in the mid-50's!!

I would have been fooled by the Flatiron Building resemblance as well...

Matt Hunter Ross said...

Exceptional photos - thanks for sharing them!

Viewliner Ltd. said...

Anonymous: Thank you for the correction. I appreciate it very much.

Anonymous said...

I try to help where needed :) but looking at that picture I do think that the Times Building was an underrated piece of architecture that has been stripped of its ornamentation and its purpose of being (aside from holding billboards). I even think its completely vacant now.

walterworld said...

What a great collection of shots!

If only time travel were possible...

ryan said...

Sup Richard. Would you mind plugging my photostream whenever you borrow slides from it? It needs the exposure!

Thanks man =)

Jason said...

Those are amazing! I've never seen 1950s NYC in color! I wonder if I can add technicolor to any black and white photo...