Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Burlington Caboose

Burlington Northern Railroad Caboose - Amtrak 21st Street Junction - Chicago, Illinois, April 10, 1976 - Burlington Northern inherited one of the largest and most colorful collections of cabooses on the rails. Many ran in old predecessor paint schemes for well over a decade after the merger in 1970. A crewman is enjoying a cigarette in the cupola on this ex-Great Northern classic. It was being used in Chicago area yard and transfer service in 1976.

Burlington Northern Railroad Caboose - BN Eola Yard - Eola, Illinois, September 19, 1976 - This old girl had recently been given a complete reconditioning, which included sandblasting, and new paint. She was built at Aurora, Illinois, in March 1930, as the CB&Q "NE-10" 13513.

Burlington Northern Railroad Wood Caboose - BN Eola Yard - Eola, Illinois, September 19, 1976 - It certainly has seen better days, but this former Burlington waycar has quite a history. BN 11060 was built as the Kansas City, St. Joseph, & Burlington, number 11, in 1874. It later became the CB&Q 14315, an early class "NE-1" car. In the 1970's, it was renumbered to BN 11060, and was in daily service until its retirement in April 1974 - 100 years after it was built!

Burlington Northern Railroad Caboose - BN Eola Yard - Eola, Illinois, September 19, 1976 - BN 10185 was built by Morrison International in March 1964 as the CB&Q 13599. It was part of the modern "NE-13" class.

Burlington Northern Railroad Caboose - BN (ex-CB&Q) Mendota Yard - Mendota, Illinois, March 02, 1980 - BN "waycar" 10393 was originally built at Havelock, Nebraska, in 1954. It was the former CB&Q 13527, part of a 35-car "NE-12" class. It was assigned to local freight service at Mendota, Illinois, in March 1980.

Burlington Northern Railroad Caboose - BN (ex-CB&Q) Ottumwa Yard - Ottumwa, Iowa, April 10, 1982 - BN 11619 was built by Morrison International as the Frisco 1291 in August 1969.

Burlington Northern Railroad Caboose - ICG (ex-GM&O) South Joliet Roundhouse - Joliet, Illinois, June 09, 1976 - Burlington Northern purchased 100 (12000-12099) new road cabooses from Pacific Car & Foundry in 1975. Crew members recall that these "waycars" had beautiful polished oak flooring inside.

LINK: Photos by Kevin Piper on Railpictures.Net ----- THANK YOU KEVIN!

No comments: