Fremont Street in Las Vegas, Nevada, is the second most famous street in the Las Vegas metropolitan area after the Las Vegas Strip. Named in honor of explorer John Charles Frémont.
Fremont Street is, or was, the address for many famous casinos such as Binion's Horseshoe, Eldorado Club, Fremont Hotel and Casino, Golden Gate Hotel & Casino, Golden Nugget, The Mint, and the Pioneer Club.
Fremont Street dates back to 1905, when Las Vegas itself was founded. Fremont Street was the first paved street in Las Vegas in 1925 and received the city's first traffic light in 1931.
Biff's Famous Food and Las Vegas Club - Located across the street (Fremont) from The Golden Gate. To the left of the picture would be the Union Pacific Railroad Station, where the Plaza Hotel and Casino stands today.
El Rancho Vegas was the first resort on what would become the Las Vegas Strip (US Hwy 91). It was located at 2500 Las Vegas Boulevard, at the southwest corner of Las Vegas Boulevard and Sahara, and opened on April 3, 1941 as the largest hotel in Vegas with 110 rooms.
The legendary stripper Candy Barr was headlining at El Rancho Vegas in 1959 when she was arrested by the FBI after her appeal on a marijuana conviction originating in Texas, and prison sentence, was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court.
Harry James and Betty Grable were performing a late show on stage when the hotel was destroyed by a fire on June 17, 1960.
LINK: Pictures from Actionlog's Photostream on Flickr. THANKS RYAN!