Saturday, October 10, 2009

Longshaw Cards 1946

I have always been partial to the linen type postcards of the 1940's. Here are a few of my favorites, published by the Longshaw Card Company, from my collection. They happen to be from the year I was born. How time fly's when your having fun!

The Earl Carroll Theatre - Seats reserved in advance $2.50 - A Gay Night Spot of Hollywood, California.

Editors Note: The Earl Carroll Theatre was built in 1938. After changing hands it eventually became the "Hullabaloo" Rock and Roll club, capitalizing on the popularity of the television variety show Hullabaloo. It then became the "Aquarius Theatre" in the late 1960s and was used as a venue for the long running musical Hair and made famous as the place where The Doors performed on July 21, 1969. - LA WOMAN ROCKS !!! -

In a setting of Old China, with shrines, lily pools, and courts, the Chinese have gathered the art treasures of the Orient - Enchanting Chinese Settlement, Los Angeles, California.

The New Homes of C.B.S. and N.B.C. broadcasting stations. The ultramodern architecture and equipment make the guided inspection tours an interesting attraction - Radio City, Hollywood, California.

The Motion Picture Industry is one of the first four industries in the United States. More than 70% of the pictures shown throughout the world are produced in Los Angeles County - Home of Warner Brothers, Burbank, Calif.


Major Pepperidge said...

Since I love "old Los Angeles", I have most of these cards. My grandmother would tell me about her arrival in Los Angeles after she married my grandpa back in 1929, and how much she loved the city.

By the way, the Earl Carroll Theatre is now Nickelodeon's Sunset studio... if you drive by it, you can see that the structure hasn't changed that much.

Debbie V. said...

I, too, love the Los Angeles that I really never knew - of the 1940's and before the explosion of the suburbs (where I came in). My mom told me when she came to Union Station on the train from southern Illinois, near L.A. the orange grove trees grew right up next to the train tracks. She thought she was in paradise. She and my dad married in 1948 and hence I was born and raised there.
Now, thinking of this time is very bittersweet. I live in Indiana now.
Love the postcards and all you do.

Bluekarma said...

LA is the city I always felt I should of lived in as a kid but actually was raised in Miami. I moved here in 1992 and love it and love discovering these old places! Maybe I did live here in a previous life because I feel so at home here! I live in Van Nuys which has quite a history as well in the San Fernando Valley(yes, where the Valley Girl thing started).