Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Stamps

On October 27, 1976, the Postal Service issued a 13-cent multicolored Christmas stamp depicting Nathaniel Currier’s 1855 hand-colored lithograph 'Winter Pastime'.

On October 21, 1977, the Postal Service issued a 13-cent Christmas stamp depicting a rural mailbox. The stamp was designed by Dolli Tingle.

This 6-cent Christmas postage stamp was first placed on sale at Christmas, Florida, on November 3, 1969. The painting is titled "Winter Sunday in Norway, Maine." It is an oil on canvas painted about 1870.

This 5-cent Christmas postage stamp was first placed on sale through the Santa Claus, Indiana, post office on November 1, 1963. The National Christmas tree on the eastern Ellipse near the White House.

The 10-cent Currier and Ives Christmas stamp was first placed on sale at New York City on October 23, 1974. Based on a Currier and Ives print entitled "The Road Winter."

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

When my 93 year old grandma passed away a few years ago, I found many hundreds of old postage stamps, including most of these Christmas examples. My mom let me keep the stamps, every time I look at them I think of grandma!

Viewliner Ltd. said...

That is great Major. When I was a kid, it used to be a big thing for me when a new stamp came out.

Although I will admit that I am not trilled with some of the stamps the PO issues today.

The Simpsons on stamps does not do a thing for me.

Major Pepperidge said...

Yeah, and even those Disney stamps are terrible, I never bought a single stamp. Wish I had purchased a sheet of the Eames stamps though!