Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thrift City 1950's

There are 10 days left until Christmas - You have got to hurry, time is a wastin' - Many things to buy and later many things to return. So lets visit Thrift City in the 1950's and get all our Christmas shopping done in one place.

Welcome to Thrift City - Suitcases for Christmas?

Now that's more like it, a BMC Blue Streak peddle car
for $11.50, what a deal!

Friction Jeeps and Sparkling G-Mencars. Very cool!

Great selection of those, what do you call 'em, ah yes LP's.

Cashier with lightning fast reflexes'.

I know the feeling Pal!

These photographs from LIFE Magazine were shot by Ralph Morse for an article titled "The Biggest Christmas Ever". To see more of these photos visit the LIFE Archive.


Major Pepperidge said...

Thrift city looks awesome, but the crowd of shoppers is the thing I most hope to avoid when I'm out and about over the next 8 or 9 days! (Actually, I'm almost done with my shopping, yahoo!)

Gunnar and Sherry said...

Wow, record albums. How I miss them...

Keith said...

I'm actually done with all my shopping already. It's really neat to see what shopping was like back then. Very cool photos.