Sunday, February 28, 2010

Century 21 Expo

The Century 21 Exposition, known to most as the Seattle World's Fair, was a held from April 21, 1962, to October 21, 1962 in Seattle, Washington. Nearly ten million people attended the fair.

Seattle, Washington - The Centrury 21 Exposition, America's spage age world's fair, will thrill visitors to the five Worlds of Century 21, tied together by the exotic Boulevards of the World. Man's life in the space age will be shown in the Coliseum and the United States Science Pavilion will house the most extensive science exhibits ever assembled by the U.S. Government. Atop the 550-foot Space Needle is a restaurant and observation deck, revolving once an hour.

The Monorail for the Seattle World's Fair, ready to whisk 10,000 passengers an hour from downtown Seattle to the site of the $70,000,000 Century 21 Exposition. Built by the Alweg Rapid Transit Company, it is the world's first high speed, mass transit Monorail, covering the 1.2 mile route in 96 seconds, for a thrilling, silent ride.

Topping the 1962 Seattle World's Fair is the 600 foot Space Needle, where visitors can dine in a 250 seat revolving restaurant affording a panoramic view of the world's fair, city and mountains around this seaport. Tying the fair to downtown Seattle is the world's first high speed mass transit Monorail, shown here at the base of the Needle.

- Interior of Coliseum 21 -

- Dole Pineapple Hawaiian Pavilion -

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I don't think I've ever seen Dole's Pineapple Pavilion before!

Heidi Ann said...

I've never seen these - I love it all. Wish I could have gone there!

TokyoMagic! said...

The design of that Pineapple Pavilion reminds me of Walt Disney World's juice stand at the exit to their Tiki Room. I wonder if they copied it?

Love the monorail postcard with the artwork superimposed over the real photo.

Viewliner Ltd. said...

This stuff drives me crazy. I love it so! Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I snagged that space needle postcard for a screen backdrop. Great artwork.

I remember riding the elevator up that thing, I couldnt have been more that 3 or 4. I know I didnt go to school yet.

Thank You!

JG