Olvera Street is in the oldest part of Downtown Los Angeles, California, and is part of the El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Monument. Many Latinos refer to it as "La Placita Olvera." Circa 1911 it was described as Sonora Town.
Having started as a short lane, Wine Street, it was extended and renamed in honor of Agustín Olvera, a prominent local judge, in 1877. There are 27 historic buildings lining Olvera Street, including the Avila Adobe, the Pelanconi House and the Sepulveda House.
In 1930, it was converted to a colorful Mexican marketplace. It is also the setting for Mexican style music and dancing and holiday celebrations, such as Cinco de Mayo.
The Avila Adobe, Olvera Street, Los Angeles California. This is the oldest and most historic building in Los Angeles, built in 1818 by Don Francisco Avila. It was occupied as American headquarters in 1847. The rooms are furnished in the period of Early California. Olvera Street was the first main thoroughfare in Los Angeles.
Olvera Street was the old trail down which Governer Felipe de Neve led his colonists when he founded Los Angeles in 1781. In this quaint "Old California" Street, where Mexican craftsmen make and display their wares, is located the Old Avila Adobe where Commodore Stockton had his headquarters during the American conquest.
Our Lady of La Purisma Shrine - Olvera Street, Los Angeles. To implore her blessings or give thanks, the people of the street bring her flowers.
Olvera Street - A bit of old Mexico transplanted into the heart of Los Angeles, California.
Olvera Street - Market place for Mexican curios on the north side of the old Plaza in Los Angeles. Sales girls and waitresses in colorful Mexican costumes sing Mexican folk songs, offering an atmosphere typical of old Mexico.