Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Streamliners

Here is probably one of the coolest sets of postcards that the Santa Fe Railroad and the Fred Harvey Company ever published. It is a set of 10 postcards (5 are pictured) from the 1940's. They are linen type postcards in a great envelope.

Leaders of Santa Fe's Fleet of Streamlined Trains
The Super Chief - The Chief - El Capitan

Santa Fe Transcontinental Train with its streamlined cars in gleaming stainless steel, and 6,000 H.P. Diesel-Electric locomotive.

Fitted with roomy sofas, comfortable big chairs, and small tables facing a modernistic bar, the lounge car on the "SUPER CHIEF" has panelled walls of exquisite woods with inlaid Indian ceremonial figures, and authentic Navajo patterns in the window shades and decorations.

Passengers relax leisurely for a luxurious Fred Harvey meal in the dining car of the Santa Fe's streamlined transcontinental "EL CAPITAN."

One of the unique features of the dining cars on the "SUPER CHIEF" is the specially designed china, featuribg Indian designs found on the centuries-old pottery of New Mexico.

Under the shadow of the lofty precipitous Sierra Madre Range lies beautiful San Gabriel Valley. The Valley contains about 100 square miles of territory, nearly all of which has been transformed from sterile desert into a succession of small homes and thriving little cities.

6 comments:

Honeymoon bed breakfast said...

Nice post and thanks for sharing streamliner history. We had a great streamliner’s travel experience. The chairs were extremely comfortable and services are also too good. I think it is the best choice for train travel.

Regards,

Heidi Ann said...

Oh those are fabulous!! My favorite is the Super Chief Lounge Car with the Native American touches! I want to BE there.

Davelandweb said...

Those photos make me want to be on a dining car right now!

Major Pepperidge said...

As much as I love the old steam locomotives, I have to say that these locos are among my all-time favorites! The red and yellow paint scheme is fantastic.

Viewliner Ltd. said...

In 1957 I traveled across most of the country on the Super Chief. As a 10 year old kid, I can tell you that it was an experience beyond belief.

An experience that is forever etched in my mind. Just thinking about gives me goose-bumps. Truly Great!

Debbie V. said...

In June 1948, my mother came from the coal mining town of Benton, IL to marry my dad who had already decided to settle in southern Calif after his basic training at Camp Pendelton fro WWII. My mom said the thing she remembers most about moving to California was when the train she was on went right through an orange orchard - so close you could almost pick the oranges.
Thank you so much for this picture - I'll take it to her when I visit next month.