Friday, June 11, 2010

San Fran in the 1940s

The International Settlement of today shows but little of the old Barbary Coast of the rowdy past. It is an interesting, noisy, good-natured section of restaurants, night clubs and places of entertainment.

San Francisco's hilly streets are navigated by cable cars. These little conveyances ascend the seemingly perpendicular heights almost without effort. Both residents and visitors crowd aboard for a bouncing exciting trip over the hills of the fabulous city.

Lombard Street, between Leavenworth and Hyde Streets winds tortuosly eight times within the block. An unexcelled view of San Francisco and the Bay may be seen from the top of precipitous Lombard Street.

Powell and Market Streets in San Francisco is the famous corner where the cable car turns around on a turn table. Both residents and visitors alike crowd aboard the unique vehicles for bouncing exciting trip over the of the fabulous city.


Heidi Ann said...

Oh, those are gorgeous old postcards!! I haven't been to SF for so long. These make me want to go even more than I already did. Thank you for sharing them.

Major Pepperidge said...

I have a picture of that International Settlement sign from 1943. If I ever get around to posting that kind of thing on my blog, I'll definitely share it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. That last one of Powell and Market looks just like my memory of that spot.

I prefer the old SF, I guess.