Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lake Placid 1980

Lake Placid, New York is best known as the two-time site of the Winter Olympics, in 1932 and 1980. The village is especially remembered as the site of the 1980 USA-USSR hockey game the "Miracle on Ice", when a group of American college students and amateurs upset the heavily favored Soviet national ice hockey team 4-3 and two days later won the gold medal. The victory is often ranked as the greatest in American sports history. It is also the site of the Olympic Oval, where Eric Heiden won his five Olympic gold medals.

Famous Lake Placid in the Adirondacks of New York - Mirror Lake and Main Street at this world famous vacation center, which offers year 'round activities, including Scenic Boat Trips, Skating at the Olympic Arena and Convention Center, Skiing in the winter and scenic chair lifts and Motor Highway to the summit in the magnificent Whiteface Mountain and Mount Van Hovenberg Bob Sled Run. The only one in North America.

Picturesque Lake Placid - A view along Main Street in this world famous resort which offers varied activities in every season, including Ice Skating in the Olympic Arena, scenic boat trips, Golf on Championship Courses, and the nearby Whiteface Mountain Ski Center and Summit Highway.

Site of 1980 XIII Winter Olympic Games - Aerial view of the Village showing the Olympic Arenas and Speed Skating Oval in the center and Olympic Headquarters at lower right.

Site of 1980 XIII Winter Olympic Games - Interior views of the new 15 million dollar Field House are shown with Hockey and Figure Skating events in progress. The aerial view shows the refrigerated Speed Skating Oval, the Lake Placid High School and the Olympic Arenas.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Stars Hall of Fame

Here are a few postcards from the Stars Hall of Fame Wax Museum in Orlando, Florida. I have postcards from the Movieland Wax Museum in Buena Park that have the identical pictures you see here. They must have gotten a deal from the printers. Read about the Stars Hall of Fame's beginnings and endings on Florida's Lost Tourist Attractions. ENJOY!

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy have gotten themselves into "another fine mess" in this typical scene from the 1929 production of "The Perfect Day."

Michael Landon, Lorne Green and Dan Blocker, who make up the famous Cartwright family on the long running TV favorite, "Bonanza," are right at home standing in an excellent reproduction of the Ponderosa "front yard."

John "Duke" Wayne, who received the best actor "Oscar" in 1969 for "True Grit," is represented at Stars Hall of Fame in a scene from the 1954 production of "Hondo." The desert back-drop, like those used in the filming of actual motion pictures, makes the shallow set appear to extend to the horizon.

Julie Christie, Omar Sharif and Rod Steiger as they appear at Stars Hall of Fame in a scene from the 1965 production, "Doctor Zhivago."

Redd Foxx and Lawanda Page were co-stars of the immensely popular television series, "Sanford and Son", as the world's most celebrated junkman and his Bible-totin' nemesis, Aunt Esther.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Alaska 67 Expo

Postcards from the Alaska 67 Centennial Exposition, Fairbanks, Alaska / May 27-September 10, 1967. Marking the 100th anniversary of the Alaska Purchase from Russia. To see some great pics from the Expo, visit Gorrilas Don't Blog.

This artist's sketch shows the exposition grounds with the old riverboat NENANA, once proud Queen of the Northern Waters on the Chena River, the zoo with native Alaskan animals, a gold rush town, an exhibit area, an authentic Eskimo village and a mining valley where visitors may pan for gold.

The lusty, brawling Alaska boom town days come to life again in a Gold Rush Town, reproduced in authentic detail as a major exposition attraction. Visitors here find themselves at the turn of the century, in the world of the sourdough and "the lady that's known as Lou!"

Bartlett Plaza - the main exhibition area, honoring Alaska's Senior Senator links Alaska's past and future to the present and demonstrates the growing importance of Alaska, representing a cross section of Alaskan art, industry and culture plus a variety of industrial and cultural exhibits from other states and nations.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mount Lowe Railway

Great circa 1900 postcards from my collection of Mt Lowe and Pacific Electric Railways. The last picture is the back of the postcards. ENJOY!

The Mount Lowe Railway was the third in a series of scenic mountain railroads in America created as a tourist attraction on Echo Mountain and Mount Lowe, north of Los Angeles, California.

The railway, originally incorporated by Professor Thaddeus S. C. Lowe as the Pasadena & Mt. Wilson Railroad Co. existed from 1893 until its official abandonment in 1938, and had the distinction of being the only scenic mountain, electric traction (overhead electric trolley) railroad ever built in the United States.

The Railway opened on 4 July 1893, and consisted of nearly seven miles of track starting in Altadena, California at a station called Mountain Junction. The railway climbed the steep Lake Avenue and crossed the Poppyfields into the Rubio Canyon.

This part of the trip was called the Mountain Division. At this juncture stood the Rubio Pavilion, a small 12-room hotel. From there the passengers transferred to a cable car funicular which climbed the Great Incline to the top of the Echo Mountain promontory.

Atop Echo stood the magnificent 70-room Victorian hotel, the Echo Mountain House. Only a few hundred feet away stood the 40-room Echo Chalet which was ready for opening day. The complement of buildings on Echo included an astronomical observatory, car barns, dormitories and repair facilities, a casino and dance hall, and a menagerie of local fauna.

Passengers could then transfer to another trolley line, the Alpine Division, which would take them to the upper terminus at Crystal Springs and Ye Alpine Tavern, a 22-room Swiss Chalet hospice with a complement of amenities from tennis courts, to wading pools, to mule rides.

For the seven years during which Lowe owned and operated the railway, it constantly ran into hard times. For one, its location was off the beaten path of the common traveler with little means of transportation up to the Altadena hillside. For another, fares did not cover the cost of continuous construction done on money borrowed at 10½% interest, and the opening day fare of $5.00 would not remain attractive to the greater public.

The tiny railway was purchased by Henry Huntington of the Pacific Electric Railway in 1902. Huntington operated it as a fringe venture the rest of its days alongside his expansive Red Car system that covered the greater Los Angeles and Orange County areas.

A series of natural disasters ate away at the facilities, the first of which was a kitchen fire that destroyed the Echo Mountain House in 1900. A 1905 fire destroyed the rest of the Echo buildings except for the observatory and the astronomer's cabin. In 1909 a flash flood tore out the Rubio Pavilion. In 1928 a gale force wind toppled the observatory. And in 1936 an electrical fire wiped out the Tavern.

The Mount Lowe Railway was officially abandoned in 1938 after a horrendous rain washed most everything off the mountain sides. Today, the ruins of Mount Lowe Railway remain as a monument to a once-ever experienced enterprise. It was placed on the National Register of Historical Places on January 6, 1993.

Thanks to Wikipedia for all the great information. To read more click HERE!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Knotts Story '58

This is a very cool Knott's Berry Farm fold-out pamphlet from about 1958 or there abouts. I had never seen it before, but now it's mine... found in a lot of postcards I recently purchased. It is the same size as a standard postcard and made from the same type of paper. ENJOY!





Sunday, July 11, 2010

Valentine Diners

Valentine Diners began their nearly forty year career in Wichita, Kansas, an idea born of the Great Depression. They were constructed as eight to ten seat diners that one or two people could operate. If you were good at it and you served good food at a fair price and kept your customers happy, you could make a successful business of a Valentine.

Valentines could be found along major highways to attract travelers, in industrial areas to attract workers, and in small towns where they might be one of the only restaurants available.

Illinois born Arthur Valentine came to Kansas in 1914. He was a natural salesman, hawking automobiles for a while in Great Bend but always hoping someday to be his own boss.

Sometime in the late 1920s or early 1930s Valentine and his wife, Ella, opened a restaurant in the small south central Kansas town of Hazelton. They took a liking to the business, and others followed, including Wichita and Hutchinson and eventually their "chain" of restaurants became known as the Valentine Lunch System.

The structure was built in sections by the Metal Building Company of Wichita and the Martin Perry Company of New York, who supplied the Wichita business. The cafe included a complete line of foods for its customers, short orders, regular dinners, lunches, and sandwiches and, according to Arthur Valentine, curb service would be featured.


LINK: For more about Valentine Diners visit the Kansas State Historical Society website - HERE!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The 1954 Studebakers

Studebaker was a wagon and automobile manufacturer based in South Bend, Indiana. Originally, the company was a producer of industrial mining wagons, founded in 1852 and incorporated in 1868 under the name of the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company.

Studebaker entered the automotive business in 1902 with electric vehicles and 1904 with gasoline vehicles. Acquired in 1954 by Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, Studebaker was a division of the Studebaker Packard Corporation from 1957 to 1962.

Cover of the "New 1954 Studebakers" brochure.

The Commander V-8 Starliner Hard-top for 5 passengers.

The Commander V-8 Regal Starlight Coupe for 5 passengers.

The Champion Starliner Hard-top for 5 passengers.

The Champion Regal 4-door Sedan for 6 passengers.


LINK: See many more automobile brochures and manuals at The Old Car Manual Project.

Monday, July 5, 2010

American Scenes

Dutch Market, Holland, Michigan - Located 1 mile north of Junction 21 and 31. Uniquely built with Dutch architecture. Many varieties of Dutch imports are sold here. Wooden shoes, pottery, Dutch food, cheese, tulip bulbs and many other items.

The Federated Church, Hyannis, Cape Cod, Mass.

"Brimstone Corner" Park Street Church, Boston.

The Pacific Club - Old Customs House - Nantucket, Mass - The Pacific Club... for the exclusive use of descendants of Whalers who sailed the Pacific Ocean... is housed in this historic building... which was built in 1772 and was the home office of the three ships that participated in the famous "Boston Tea Party".

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, Fifth Avenue and 88th Street, designed by the late Frank Lloyd Wright, houses a major collection of contemporary art. The Galleries are in the larger circular building and administrative offices in the smaller.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy Fourth!

I just thought this was one great picture to post for the 4th.
HAPPY FOURTH EVERYONE !!!

Native Americans on the 4th of July, Dells, Wisconsin, July 1953 - Life Magazine Photographer: Francis Miller.