Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Monorail Madness

Monorail Train Ride at Fun Pier - Wildwood by the Sea, New Jersey.

Riverside Park - Route 5A, Agawam, Mass - Monorail: Latest development
in amusement rides. Only one on the East Coast.

Trailblazer, the first Monorail train. Located at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas.
Erected in U.S. placed in service October 6, 1956.

Dutch Wonderland U.S. Route 30 East, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
A 34 acre "Wonderland" of Enchantment & Fantasy.

Greetings from Pomona, California. Monorail car, one of 14 on mile long monorail tour of huge grounds, glides over visitors to annual Los Angeles County Fair.

7 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, these are fantastic! I knew about the Monorails at Dutch Wonderland and Pomona (never seen that one painted olive-drab), but the rest are new to me. My favorite is the one at Wildwood by the Sea!

A Snow White Sanctum said...

Love the monorail madness! I visited a book sale once in Oklahoma City at the state fairgrounds. Imagine my surprise to look up and see a monorail overhead! Unfortunately, I hear that it was dismantled back in 2005.

TokyoMagic! said...

Unfortunately, I heard that the one at the Fair Grounds in Pomona was also dismantled....only a few years after they spent money on a major rehab. Does anyone know if that's true?

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, that is the same story I'd heard... that monorail closed 5 or 6 years after a major rennovation. It had been there since 1962.

Anonymous said...

With the new design of the L.A. County Fair monorail, the cars were a lot heavier than the previous versions. Within 5 or 6 years, evidence came up that the track could not support the cars (brackets and rail showing cracks) and it was quickly dismantled. Shame - I remember vividly riding the original cars...

1950's_atomic_ranch_house said...

Interesting, I never knew the LA fairgrounds had a monorail! Then again, I wasn't able to go until the late 1990's. =)

Momma Nic said...

I had the good fortune of riding the Pomona monorail. It is a much different ride. I must admit, I did not like hanging from the rail. It was a little unnerving. But still fun. I believe I took that ride in the early 70's.