Here are some great vintage Calico postcards. The descriptive text is from the back of the postcards, word for word. The first and last postcards are by the Southwest postcard icon Merle Porter - ENJOY!
Calico is located near the desert town of Yermo, the "Gate-way to the Calicos". Calico was discovered in the spring of 1881 by Frank Mecham, his uncle, Doc Yager and two deputy sheriffs, Tom Warden and Hue Thomas.
They named their find "The King Mine" after Sheriff King, uncle of Walter Knott, who grubstaked the party. The vein was noticed some time before by Lafayette Mecham, father of Frank, who was looking for a horse stolen by Indians.
It was Charles Mecham, a brother to Frank, who struck a pick into horn silver while on a trip with the discovery party. When the price of silver went down the mines closed down as it did not pay to dig the ore out. Calico is one camp that silver never played out...M.P. ~ Photo-color by Merle Porter ~
Calico is a restoration project of Knott's Berry Farm.
Calico was discovered in 1870 by Lafayette Mecham, father of Frank and Charles who located the King Mine, when he chased a Piute Indian horse thief into the region. King was Sheriff of San Bernardino County and had grubstaked the brothers.
Calico was remarkable for law and order as it was a town of hard working miners, merchants and their families. The mines never gave out but with the drop in silver price it did not pay to take out the metal...M.P. ~ Photo-color by Merle Porter ~